It is a lifelong commitment. One should set realistic goals and take a holistic approach. This is a lifestyle plan not a temporary fix. You will need to stick to it. Remember, you need to get healthy to lose weight, not lose weight to get healthy. Loss of body fat and increase in lean muscle mass are essential.
General principles of this lifestyle plan are:
(1) reduce calorie consumption – longevity is associated with up to a 40% reduction in calories
(2) control the rate of carbohydrate absorption – stick to low glycemic carbs and avoid refined carbs and sugars which cause an insulin spike
(3) increase physical activity and lean body mass – a combination of cardio and resistance training five to six days a week will achieve this
(4) restore your resting metabolic rate
(5) restore any hormone imbalances
(6) restore insulin sensitivity
(7) reduce negative responses to stress – there will always be stressors in your life. It is how you react to them that matters
(8) restore sleep.
Your lifestyle plan encompasses nutrition, exercise, stress management and supplements if needed. Remember, proper nutrition is NOT a diet but a lifestyle. Fill yourself with vegetables and fruit, lean protein and monounsaturated fats. Avoid foods requiring ingredient labels. Shop organic. Diversify your diet. Most of us eat too many carbohydrates of the refined variety. Restrict your calories by 10-40% after the age of thirty and eat nutrient dense calorie poor foods. Start with a macro rupturing ratio of 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat and vary according to results. This ratio here is a very low inflammatory way of eating and will serve most well. Drink water amounting to at least half of your weight in ounces.
Remember also the quote: “Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and supper like a pauper.”
Never forget that many people drink too many calories! Exercise is beneficial and a must. A combination of cardio and resistance training five to six days a week is optimal. This burns calories and improves insulin sensitivity as well as decreases inflammation. And finally understand your emotional needs. Balance stress with equal doses of recovery. The metabolic wellness program at the Giannotto Clinic uses these principles successfully in many patients to achieve wonderful results and change lifestyles. Call or email for more details.