I was counseling a patient in the office yesterday after a nutritional evaluation and noted that he was eating too many refined carbs. He was astounded as he thought his diet was more protein based. Calculations showed about 40% carbs, 40% fat and 20% protein. I pointed out that many foods have hidden sugars and contribute to insulin resistance and obesity. So here is a list of items about HIDDEN SUGARS that we should all be aware of:
- Many meat packers feed sugar to animals prior to slaughter to improve the flavor and color of cured meats.
- Sugar in the form of corn syrup is often added to hamburgers in restaurants to reduce shrinkage.
- The breading on many prepared foods contains sugar.
- Before salmon is canned it is often glazed with a sugar solution.
- Some fast food restaurants and grocery chains sell poultry that has been injected with a flavorful honey solution.
- Sugar is used in the processing of luncheon meats, bacon and canned meats.
- Sugar is found in billion cubes and dry roasted nuts.
- Sugar is found in beer, wine and other alcoholic beverages. Champagne and cordials have a high sugar content.
- Peanut butter and many dry cereals contain sugar.
- Sugar is often added to the syrup in canned fruits.
- Some salt contains sugar.
- Half the calories of commercial ketchup come from sugar.
Over 90% of the calories found in the average can of cranberry sauce come from sugar.
We are inundated with sugar and need to be more aware of our food choices so as not to go down the path of insulin resistance, cardiac disease and diabetes. The next time you shop, start reading labels. You will be astounded at what the food industry does to increase the shelf life and appearance of most foods.
Contact Giannotto Clinic for your nutritional evaluation today!